media

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Wed Aug 18 13:06:49 PDT 1999

On Wed, 18 Aug 1999, Doug Henwood wrote:

> ... One of my beefs with the average media critic is that ... they're so
> busy bellyaching about concentration of ownership that they forget that
> they should be nurturing critical media rather than expecting the New
> York Times to call Chomsky for a quote on U.S. foreign policy...

Agreed. Wm. Lear mentions the now-absent labor press, and it's difficult to imagine the '60s without the underground papers -- bought up and redirected as soon as they became (a) profitable or (b) influential. A parallel case is radio station WBCN in Boston (once Schechter's base) -- freely "radical" thru the '60s and '70s but purchased and effectively silenced by pro-Israel interests when it began to run criticisms of the Israeli war against Lebanon.

--C. G. Estabrook