Anarchism / Marxism debates

Jim heartfield jim at heartfield.demon.co.uk
Thu Aug 19 00:55:29 PDT 1999

In message <00ac01bee9d9$650d5460$75ac10cb at rcollins>, rc-am <rcollins at netlink.com.au> writes
>on the planning issue:but a question to those advocating planning as integral to
>marxism/communism: doesn't this assume that the problem with capitalism
>is the anarchic character of its production decisions? but, is it
>anarchic? surely, the aim of production in a marxist conception is
>surplus value -- not very anarchic there. and, without holding fast to
>this, isn't there the danger of transforming our versions of communism
>into a planned capitalism? a very real danger, i would think.

I guess that the Marxist answer would be something like this:

All societies produce a surplus over and above subsistence. So would a future society - if it did not it would have no store for emergencies or for future developments.

The problem is not the surplus, but the form that the surplus takes under class societies, ie that the surplus is under the exclusive control of one class.

(In pre-capitalist societies, that was a tragic necessity, since production was at such low levels that the surplus was negligible.)

Capitalism is a superior form of surplus extraction, because it has an in-built tendency to apply the surplus to new forms of production (currently somewhat in abeyance).

However, in capitalism, the surplus is alienated from the producers, becoming a coercive force against them, precisely because of the spontaneous character of market relations.

As long as the allocation of society's resources (principally, productive labour itself) is decided by the spontaneous and unplanned operation of the market, then the surplus will always have the form of an external coercive force.

Marx's putative communism is the reappropriation of the surplus product by the producers. As such it is not the abolition of the surplus, but it is necessarily the conscious regulation of social relations. If it were not, then the surplus product would escape to re-constitute itself as capital. -- Jim heartfield