[stormingheaven] ebonics?

David Jennings [MSAI] djenning at ai.uga.edu
Thu Aug 19 10:27:45 PDT 1999

On Thu, 19 Aug 1999, Seth Ackerman wrote:

> That's what I thought, too. The subjunctive was used a lot more
>often back then.
>
>> Doug wrote:
>>
>> >Here's a test.
>> >
>> >Jack be nimble.
>> >Jack be quick.
>> >Jack jump over the candlestick.
>> >
>> >Is that Ye olde white English or Ebonics ?
>>
>> I thought it was subjunctive mood.

Whew. Here I was thinking that they used _bad_ english, but actually they were using _good_ english. In fact, great english, given that they could use such high-fallutin', non-impoverished verb forms.

Do yall suppose that Ebonics speakers don't have the consciousness to allow them to aspire to the subjunctive? And with all that conceptual impoverishment, who's going to conduct their revolution for them?

Slightly stunned, d