Anarchism / Marxism debates

Chris Burford cburford at gn.apc.org
Thu Aug 19 15:32:11 PDT 1999

At 09:32 19/08/99 -0400, Carl wrote:
>> >What in god's name would a "revolution" in the U.S. look like?...
>
>> Have we forgotten that the City of London was stormed on June 18th?
>> Why do we forget this?
>
>I haven't forgotten, Chris. It presented Brits as an inspiring contrast
>to the stupefied American public.
>
>> June 18 had a very high level of reforming planning behind it with
>> sophisticated tactics about street publicity, theatre,
>> protest actions.
>
>One of the high points of my life was participating in the antiwar
>demonstrations in Washington, D.C., during November 1969. These
>certainly caught the attention of the American public and helped
>mobilize opinion against the Vietnam war. Gratifyingly, it also scared
>the shit out of the Nixon Administration. I recall that Attorney
>General John Mitchell at one point gazed down on thousands of protestors
>from the roof of the Justice Department and said that it looked liked
>Russia during the Revolution.

We can't always be there at the high moments, and I certainly wasn't on June 18 in the City of London. They do produce the sort of shift of consciousness that Carl describes. But in the case of June 18th the ground work was laid by years of foolish, idealistic, boring work. The weekend before, a much larger entirely peaceful demonstration about "breaking the chains of debt" supported by Gordon Brown, no less, snaked around the main bridges of London. This opened the political space, creating credibility for more focussed action by the smaller group that entered the City on June 18th. Even among those, who were clearly well practised in non-violent protest, street theatre etc. it was only a small minority, spurred by the police losing control, that led to actions so shocking to capitalism that the independent police force of the City of London will have to be abolished.

I suggest in fact all serious marxist and reforming organisations, are more likely to be behind the vanguard thrust that bursts through unconsciously at unpredictable moments. The difference between reformist marxists and revolutionary reforming marxists is whether they can quickly adapt to the new agenda, the new possibilities, and bring the broad movement with them. That is quite different from the roving revolutionary bands of the ultra-vanguardists, who themselves are a variety of anarchists.

There will be different openings in the USA. The British are far from inherently more inspiring, but Britain is facing some very difficult choices about its position in the world. These translate into marked tensions in society.

Chris Burford

London