[stormingheaven] ebonics?

Sam Pawlett rsp at uniserve.com
Fri Aug 20 11:23:51 PDT 1999

CounterPunch wrote:

> Brad de Long asks:
> >So why aren't there as many great operas written in English as in Italian?
>
> *Great* operas?
>
> My question is--why aren't there any Italian (or let's just include the
> entire Axis conglomerate--German and Japanese) doo-wap songs? Who's the
> Italian James Brown? The German Sly Stone? The Japanese Sam Cooke?--jsc
>
> ___

FWIW,There are many great Italian, German and Japanese jazz musicians e.g. Giorgio Gaslini, Peter Brotzmann, Junko Onishi, Toshiki Akiyoshi.

A lot of black American speech in music like "boppin", "boogie","jazz" etc. are euphemisms for sex and drugs invented to circumvent penalties if spoken about frankly. Think of J.Lee Hooker "We're gonna boogie till the break of day."

Magic Sam