[PEN-L:10216] Re: [stormingheaven] ebonics?

Fri Aug 20 13:45:38 PDT 1999

>>> Wojtek Sokolowski <sokol at jhu.edu> 08/20/99 02:23PM >>>

ok, suppose that we all agree - and use all our time and effort to convince our so-called elected representatives - that ebonics is morally equivalent or superior (or whatever) to the so-called standard english. What will that accomplish politically, other than scoring a point in culture wars for campus liberals? Will that improve access to job market, decent housing, health care, or child care for the speakers of ebonics?

Charles: If we all agree on that, then Ebonics can be taught to White people , the way that French and German are, as a way of raising the stature of Black people in the minds of Whites.

This is an economic issue, because this will help to unite the working class and more effectively fighting the capitalists.

Charles Brown