put Thomas Friedman to work for you (was:Re: hyperpower self-pity)

W. Kiernan WKiernan at concentric.net
Fri Aug 20 16:55:05 PDT 1999

Seth Ackerman wrote:

> > Carl wrote:
> >
> > > Don't get me started about this column. Clearly the work of
> > > an idiot savant.
> >
> > Where does the savant part come in?
> >
> Because there's a genius to his stupidity. At the most exalted upper
> reaches of idiocy, one finds Thomas Friedman, whirring and humming
> all by himself. His columns are like the work of a mentally retarded
> expressionist painter. How effortlessly he captures the essential
> colors and forms of his own gnarled worldview!

Friedman, inventor of the mass-teleportation web browser plug-in, is even more inane than William Bennett, whom I previously thought was the world champion.

Now and then you'll see someone admit something like:

> ...I tried to read Hegel a few times and always dozed off after
> about 20 pages.

and God knows he's not the only one. If you occasionally have this problem, like I do, here's a practical use for the literary efforts of Thomas Friedman. What you want to do is get you a copy, preferably a used one (hate to think of giving that jackass royalties) of Friedman's breathtakingly brilliant masterpiece, "The Lexus and the Olive Tree." (Speaking of royalties, I wonder if he gets product placement royalties for the Lexus ad on his book's cover?)

When you're wading through the middle of some serious book whose complexity bogs down your mind and you feel your motivation losing traction, set down the serious book for a moment, pick up "Lexus," open it at random, and start reading. After just a few pages of Friedman's wild'n'daffy non-stop non-sequiturs, you'll be ready to dig into the serious book again with new energy. No kidding, this works! Try it, you'll see.

Yours WDK - WKiernan at concentric.net