Gentrification

Max B. Sawicky sawicky at bellatlantic.net
Sat Aug 21 00:33:30 PDT 1999

"Wojtek and max get to claim empiricism and realism in order to confirm their own positions on the death penalty, urban poverty, and suchlike. but in order for this realism to work, to look like realism, they have to define whole sections of the working class as something else, no longer the _real_ working class, etc.

mbs: I was trying to stay out of the capital punishment debate. It would be too confusing. An abortion is an appendectomy, but execution of a vicious murderer is an act of barbarism. I committed my ideolgical atrocity of the month re: abortion. Did I say something about urban poverty? I can't remember, but I know I'm against it. What about my position on "suchlike"? Hard to say. Am I going mad? Just when I manage to get out, THEY PULL ME BACK IN . . .

Who has anybody excluded from a definition of the w.c.? Whoever said the homeless were not w.c.? What year is it? I don't even remember defining the w.c. lately. I have said something from time to time about the difference between what the w.c. thinks and what the left thinks, and how the left couldn't care less about the difference. What else is new?

as Alex wrote:

> But the death penalty also disproportionately affects minorities and
the poor, so i dont see how
> that particular argument holds up.

mbs: Good example. Minorities overwhelmingly favor capital punishment. In the U.S. They know that shit and they don't care -- they still disagree with you. But what do they know? They haven't read any books. They don't understand that they are just living in myths constructed by and for the ruling class. They just think, when you kill an innocent person, you should die. When you terminate a pregnancy, it means more than popping a zit. The fools!

where is it the law of politics that we have to like, agree with or exalt other working class people in order to regard them as our class?

mbs: My only axe to grind here is that lefts ought to reflect on why they think differently than the w.c., even when they're right and the w.c. is wrong. It'll happen some day. I'm optimistic.

Good to end on a beatific note.

mbs

p.s. whatever you do, keep me out of the ebonics thread, or I'll be trippin'.