Later-Term Abortions, Caused by Anti-Abortion Policy & Morality(was Re: Gentrification)

Max B. Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Sun Aug 22 13:56:00 PDT 1999

Yoshie:
>> Look, Max, you don't really think that women who have later-term
abortions do so because they consciously prefer later-term abortions to earlier ones. It is in the *rational interest of women* (in view of women's health, how much it costs to get an abortion, whether women can find a conveniently located abortion clinic, etc.) to have abortions early rather than late. And as a matter of fact, the majority of abortions occur early in pregnancy.

mbs: I've indicated the problematic area for me is less than a percent of abortions, though this is in the neighborhood of 10,000.

I take your point that legal/cultural/economic obstacles to abortion could encourage late-term abortions. All the more reason to alleviate the former for the sake of reducing the latter. I'm not against that at all. If, for instance, parental notification could be shown to have this result, that's a great argument against parental notification. Unfortunately, it's not an argument the pro-choice side is well-situated to make, since it fails to distinguish between late- and non-late abortions and rejects any restrictions of any type as an infringement on the rights of women.

Your quote from Petchesky makes assertions regarding the causes or circumstances of later-term abortions, but it is not clear if she is using any empirical evidence. I agree that such information is important. I don't trust anybody's intuition of why teenagers or anyone else postpone abortion decisions.

In other words, all these moral puzzlements and compromises with the abortion-ambivalent (such as agreeing to the imposition of parental notification) to which Max is given are the very causes for many a later-term abortion that worries Max so much.

mbs: I would agree that a lack of clarity about goals in this and other endeavors can give rise to unwelcome results. In the pro-choice case, absolutism could reinforce cultural victory but defeat 'on the ground' in terms of real access. On the pro-life side, absolutism leads to indiscriminate policy which can have the result you note -- more late term abortions.

I don't know where to draw a sharp line between acceptable and problematic terminations of pregnancy, nor exactly how best to restrict the most troubling types of abortions. All I can do is stand on what seems incontrovertible to me: a) birth is not a logically impressive factor in granting someone a right to life; b) the closer to birth, the more compelling the case for a right to life for the fetus; c) given these two points, "reproductive rights" cannot be the exclusive province of the mother, nor of society as a whole, over and against the interests of the unborn.

max