One more difference between Blair and Schroeder

Johannes Schneider Johannes.Schneider at gmx.net
Sun Aug 22 23:11:40 PDT 1999

Michael quoted:
> <snip>
>
> A monthly opinion poll by ZDF public television last week said the
> government's approval rating was at its lowest since Schroeder took
> office in October at the head of a center-left coalition.
>
> One reason for the slump: planned cuts in Germany's generous welfare
> state that Schroeder says are necessary to spur investment and lower
> stubborn double-digit unemployment.
>
> <end excerpt>
>
> By comparison, if I remember correctly, Tony Blair had Saddam-like
> approval ratings of 93% a year into his term.
I think there is a important distinction between Britain and Germany to be noted: German unions never had to endure such a defeat as their British counterparts during the Thatcher years. As a result far-reaching cuts into the welfare budget were made in Britain during that time. Thus one could say Thatcher did most of the dirty work for Blair. In Germany, however, despite the attacks of the Kohl government on the working class the reforms and cuts remained superficial but gained some momentum in the last years of the Kohl government. This put together a strange coalition, that led to the Schroeder victory: On one hand there were those ones who expected the SPD to revert most of the cuts of the conservative government on the other hand there were those business circles who expected Schroeder to implement a more Thatcherite programme than Kohl. Now this coalition is falling apart. The SPD left and the union wing are protesting against the budget cuts. Furthermore some of the SPD bureaucrats are fearing for their jobs. There are going to be state election in Lafontains home state the Sarre and more important local elections in the biggest German state North-Rhine-Westphalia, a traditional SPD stronghold. The SPD is panicking right now, after a election defeat the in-fighting will increase, each faction accusing the other one being responsible for the defeat. Johannes