replies to Rakesh, Wojtek, Charles, Chris Anarchism / Marxism debates

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Mon Aug 23 10:12:24 PDT 1999

> Hardly, Jim. I was indeed stunned to find how much life expectancy has
> improved in many countries since 1970 according to WB data;

I haven't been following this thread so I'm ignorant of how these figures are calculated. Do they refer to life expectancy at birth? If so, they don't tell us much. Very nearly the whole of the gain in life expectancy (in the U.S.) from 1890 to 1950 was in decreased infant and child mortality. The life expectancy of a 40 year old man in 1890 and 1950 were not much different. Carrol

Uh oh.

mbs