Commentary Goes After Said

CounterPunch sitka at teleport.com
Mon Aug 23 14:31:32 PDT 1999

[here they are...going after Said the way they did Rigoberta M.--jsc]

From the Daily Telegraph:

Palestinian exile Said 'falsified' life story

By Alan Philps in Jerusalem and Daniel Johnson

EDWARD SAID, the leading Palestinian intellectual, was accused

yesterday of falsifying his life story to give the impression that he

was brought up in Jerusalem and forced into exile by the Israelis in

1947.

Prof Said, a darling of the American Left, has written that he spent

most of his "formative years" in Jerusalem and has suggested that he

was made to leave, under Jewish threat, in the months before the

Israeli War of Independence. A prolific author and energetic public

figure, his story has made him a powerful symbol of the Palestinian

dispossession and subsequent exile. His version of events has been

promoted in newspaper and magazine articles and television

appearances.

But after three years of research, an Israeli academic is challenging

his story. According to Justus Reid Weiner, scholar in residence at

the Jerusalem Centre for Public Affairs, Prof Said "has served up -

and consciously encouraged others to serve up - a wildly distorted

version of the truth, made up in equal parts of outright deception and

of artful obfuscations".

In an article in the New York magazine Commentary, Dr Weiner says that

Prof Said did not live in Jerusalem, did not go to school there and

was not a refugee. A house he claimed to have grown up in is

registered in the name of his aunt and her five children, he claims.

In fact, Dr Weiner says, the family lived comfortably in Cairo, where

Prof Said's father, an American citizen, ran a successful business.

The professor, who teaches English literature at Columbia University

in New York, is the author of such works as Blaming the Victims, The

Politics of Dispossession and Orientalism, which denounces the Western

tradition of Eastern studies as a form of colonialism.

Many Israelis were delighted at the research into his past. David

Bar-Illan, spokesman for the former Right-wing government, said: "I

never had much respect for the intellectual integrity of Prof Said.

This proves that my suspicions were not groundless."

Shlomo Riskin, chief rabbi of the Jewish settlement of Efrat on the

West Bank, said: "Truth and fiction converge very easily in this part

of the world. Edward Said is taken seriously here."

He was not available for comment yesterday but is said to be working

on a revised version of his childhood, Out of Place, which correctly

places his childhood in Cairo, but offers no explanation for his past

claims. Dr Weiner said: "I and my researchers interviewed 85 people

over three years, including Edward Said's cousin, Robert, in Amman and

a family friend in Cairo. I think people told him that the house of

cards was looking perilous."

Dr Weiner concludes: "The young Edward Said resided in luxurious

apartments, attended private English schools, and played tennis at

Cairo's exclusive Gezira sporting club, as the child of one of its few

Arab members. Whatever we finally make of all this, there can be no

denying that the parable is a lie."

___________________________________________________________ ARE YOU A FREELANCE WRITER? Then you should be a member of the NATIONAL WRITERS UNION! The only labor union committed to improving the economic and working conditions of all freelance writers. For more information visit our web site <http://www.nwu.org>, call (212) 254-0279, or email <nwu at nwu.org>.