Federal Unborn Victims Bill (was Re: no brainer: abortion is killing. so what?)

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Mon Aug 23 23:52:48 PDT 1999

Kelley:
>it's a no brainer. abortion is killing but it's not murder. in the first
>place, we already make distinctions about killing v. murder do we not?
>that is, the legal system recognizes differences in first degree murder,
>manslaughter, accidents, crimes of passion, self defense, property defense,
>and so forth. when someone is convicted of killing someone else, they are
>penalized differently according to the crime and the degree to which the
>crime was rational, pre-planned [in cold blood], the result of criminal
>negligence, the result of supposed irrationality/passion, etc. if it is
>completely an accident or in self-defense then it's not considered
>actionable as a form of murder or manslaughter or even involuntary
>manslaughter.

A killing, even if it eventually gets proven a non-guilty act of self-defense, falls in the sphere of criminal justice. I for one do not want to push both pregnancy and abortion further into the jurisdiction of criminal justice, in which the U.S. government has been already moving them. You have heard of poor women of color put into prison because of their being pregnant and using drugs at the same time, haven't you. Does it sound like a good idea to you? If not, why think of abortion as "killing," which would, if you pursued "logic and coherence of law and morality" (Steve's reason for thinking so), put abortion into the purview of criminal justice? You don't want a woman who had an abortion to have to prove her "innocence" in a court of law, do you? Further, even according to your incoherent thinking, abortion providers can't be said to be acting in "self-defense."

BTW, are you in favor of the following Federal Unborn Victims Bill supported by anti-abortionists?

Kelley also wrote:
>as for whether this argument feeds into the RTLers arguments against public
>funding for abortions, well the orig point of this thread was about making
>concessions for the sake of coalition building. that's a concession i'm
>willing to make since it's already the case that there isn't public funding
>for abortions.

If Kelley's thinking spoke for the majority of 'pro-choice' people, one would be indeed justified in thinking that 'pro-choicers' are less interested in poorer women's reproductive rights than richer women's, and that feminism is a movement by, for, and of non-poor women.

Yoshie