Single-Payer National Health Insurance

Tom Lehman uswa12 at Lorainccc.edu
Tue Aug 24 06:41:10 PDT 1999

I sense a lot of support for single-payer national health insurance. Interestingly enough, Charles Peters of the Washington Monthly is the only person that I can think of who has given any ink to a nuts and bolts look at the Canadian system and American possibilities.

There was a lot of support, in this area in particular, from the unions for national single payer health insurance. We even had a special AFL-CIO meeting with our congressman to enforce our position on national single payer health insurance during the ill-fated limp wristed & confused Mrs. Clinton-Ira Magaziner health insurance debate.

Realistically, national single payer health insurance probably would have some deductibles and or co-pays--possibly some procedures might be better left to market forces(lypo-suction :o) etc. On the whole providing efficient, effective health care for all American should be our goal.

Tom Lehman