[stormingheaven] ebonics?

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Tue Aug 24 13:18:58 PDT 1999

At 03:55 AM 8/23/99 -0700, you wrote:
>From: Peter Kosenko <kosenko at netwood.net>
>An impoverished linguistic consciousness is bad
>because language is power. You can't organize an
>effective resistance without it, you can't get
>what you need. Frederic Douglas knew this. The
>prohibition against blacks learning to read and
>write during slavery was an attempt to keep them
>from being able to organize effectively among each
>other, or to quite understand their situation
>(defined by others), except in a "physical" way
>(the whip). The simpler and more oral their
>culture remained, the less they had a chance
>against the legal-political-economic culture
>around them. If you don't understand most of the
>language in the culture around you, you are at an
>extreem disadvantage as a subculture. I'm sure
>that many in Latin American ruling classes have no
>special interest in seeing the Indios become
>really literate in Spanish. Rudimentary Spanish
>yes, if they can also deprive them of their native
>languages, but legal, political and economic
>matters? Absolutely not. (On the other hand,
>many white Americans don't do too well at it
>either.)

This was precisely the function of Latin in medieval Europe. Latin was the language of the learned, used to discuss important theological, legal and political issues. That effectively barred the speakers of the vernacular form participating in that discourse. To communicate to them what they needed to know, the lerned used the pictorial language (religious paintings) pretty much the same way Tv works today. Hence, one of the main demands of the Reformation was using the vernacular for religious (=legal and political) discourse.

Related comment: I posted this discussion to another list where it stirred a lively debate. One of the argument was that ebonics is simply one of pedagogical devices that uses the vernacular to teach the speakers of that vernacular standard english. As such, it is of no political significance - but it was made into a political icon by the right (who distorted it as an attempt to teach a vernacular in public schools) and then by the left (who distorted it is a symbol of moral worth of the underclass). A good point. As I see it, this discussion pertains to the distorted interpretation of 'ebonics' rather than to its pedagogical usage.

wojtek