"Fatherhood" & Control over the Female Body (was re: Yoshie's sacred sperm)

W. Kiernan WKiernan at concentric.net
Tue Aug 24 14:14:50 PDT 1999

Rob Schaap wrote:

> ...But it should be remembered that one of the things that makes this
> difficult (if still the only conclusion logically possible in our
> world) is that men have, at a particularly decisive moment, all
> responsibility and no rights. I did nothing with my genitals my
> partner did not do with hers, yet she has the womb - which grants
> her rights and obligations specific to the bearer of a womb. As
> the bearer of a penis, I share much of the responsibility, but none
> of the rights...

Me too. I've got three kids, by which I mean I stood around and did damn near nothing for a few months, during which months my wife Judith got to where she couldn't get in the car because swelled up like she had somehow swallowed a bowling ball, couldn't pick up things off the floor, suffered the usual variety of ever-changing medical symptoms, e.g., nausea, sleeplessness, etc., etc.

Then after those uncomfortable months of pregnancy the kids were born. I "delivered" two of them myself (not because I wanted to, but the midwife was late both times) by which I mean I mostly stood around biting my fingernails and watched, and then at the end I caught the kid and snipped the cord. Meanwhile for hours on end Judith underwent labor, it's kind of unnerving for me even to remember just watching it; judging by the sounds and the expressions on her face during those hours, if I had ever had to put up with what she put up with I would expect the Congressional Medal of Honor.

"All responsibility and no rights"? Considering our different efforts and travails, that sounds fair to me.

Yours Old Dad - WKiernan at concentric.net