The Health Care Industry

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Wed Aug 25 09:52:30 PDT 1999

. . . I appreciated Jim's, Tom's, and gcf's responses to my original question, and I hope others will answer it too before it gets lost in the momentum of the thread:

*Why* have costs spiralled upward so dramatically in the past 20 years?

I agree w/Jim. Advance of technology/practice/etc., in a system where expenses, after deductibles and co-pays, are reimbursed by a third party with minimal control of whether a service is provided or not. HMO's don't constrain this because when somebody needs something they will not provide, they migrate into some part of the system which does, such as Medicare.

mbs