Murder vs. Killing

Steve Perry sperry at usinternet.com
Thu Aug 26 11:59:52 PDT 1999

>Marta writes:
>I support abortion but take the Adrienne Asche's position that it crosses
>the line when one aborts because one does not like the characteristic
>of the fetus (sex, disability, hair color, whatever else they will know
>about us in the womb) rather than having the abortion because the
>conditions in one's life makes that choice necessary to abort ANY fetus.

Max, in his response to the above, makes an unpalatable--but incontrovertible--point, though he doesn't state it very directly: Given that the means of testing a fetus for all sorts of characteristics are becoming more readily available all the time, and given that there is no way to assess and distinguish a woman's "real" motives for desiring an abortion, it's inevitable that the procedure will come to be used by some as a kind of Home Eugenics Kit. And there's *nothing* to be done about it in a preventative sense, as Marta would desire. It doesn't deter my support for abortion rights, but it does make me shudder. Ah, the strange bedfellows wrought by science and technology...