Chinese Labor Activist Jailed for 10 yrs.

Stephen E Philion philion at hawaii.edu
Wed Aug 25 15:45:17 PDT 1999

Natan,

Yes, the crackdown has added to this kind of problem. But, it depends on the technique you employ to do research. My own experience was different. I think it also has to do with who you cooperate with, their understanding of the state of the working class in China. I would say that if your friend spent time in a city like Shenyang or other northeastern cities ,where the heart of state owned industry is located, it is not that difficult to find sources for interviews and the like. I mean, hell, if Business Week and LA Times can do it, then why can't researchers who supposedly have a much more sophisticated understanding of China?

I would not disagree that the recent crackdown and the bombing of China's Belgrade embassy makes such efforts more complicated. But, then again, BW, NYT, LAT,...keep on publishing reports that indicate that they could do it...So, possibly your friend's research methodology is the problem (note the word "possibly", implying also "possibly not").

Steve