Women vs. the State, et al (was Re: Murder vs. Killing)

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Thu Aug 26 01:38:02 PDT 1999

Carrol wrote:
>Any terminology
>(such as Kelley's slang term "killing") that directly
>or indirectly, implicitly or explicitly, metaphorically
>or literally attributes interests to a fetus is obscurantist.

I agree. What is obscured in this obscurantist discourse is the actual power relations in struggles that concern reproductive rights. The anti-abortion movement is, for obvious reasons, not a movement of, by, and for fetuses. The actual struggles for power in reproductive politics concern primarily the following: women vs. the State; women vs. doctors; women vs. the anti-abortion movement; women vs. the men who want to control women's sexuality and reproduction; and young women vs. the parents who want to control their daughters' sexuality and reproduction. By employing fetuses as symbolic vehicles, all groups named above have and are still seeking control over women. (As Kristin Luker notes, it is doctors' struggle for licensing law and professionalization that first made abortions criminal in America.)

Many fertilized eggs and fetuses are destroyed during the course of fertility treatment; however, the anti-abortion movement has not killed doctors who are engaged in this service, nor have the abortion-ambivalent made a big fuss about it. Providers of fertility treatment are increasing, while abortion providers are decreasing. That is because in the ideology of sexism, not just any egg and fetus can gain symbolic value: in this ideology, valuable symbolic eggs and fetuses are the ones _outside_ of the aura of desire for motherhood that fertility treatment projects.

Yoshie