murder v. killing.

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Thu Aug 26 07:05:36 PDT 1999

The below certainly seems to support Lisa's position. Are we getting worse, or was the British nanny judge selectively citing law, I wonder.

<quote> [from de-news, a German news digest]

- 15 year jail sentence for German au pair Manuela Etzel

Washington. German au pair Manuela Etzel has been sentenced to 15 years imprisonment in the United States. She was found guilty of manslaughter in connection with the death of an 18 month old girl. The judge went three years beyond the normal maximum sentence. As justification, he said the accused had dropped the little girl at a church kindergarten in a particularly reckless manner. Etzel maintained it was never her intention to hurt the child. <endquote>

> On Wed, 25 Aug 1999, Liza Featherstone wrote:
>
> > Agreed that Singer's view is *very* unlikely ever to get anywhere near the
> > U.S. mainstream. Americans actually tend to be a lot more horrified by
> > infanticide than many other cultures; in Britain, I think, baby-killing is
> > generally prosecuted as manslaughter, hardly ever as murder (Brits on the
> > list correct me if I'm wrong).

And I wrote