Murder vs. Killing

Thu Aug 26 10:53:51 PDT 1999

Garland Allen speaks to some of our concerns here:

"With current availability of many genetic screening tests and amniocentrsis, we already have in place a kind of 'laissez-faire' eugenics, to use Philip Kitcher's phrase. Add to this, the growing pressure from halth providers on families not to have, or to abort, 'at risk' offspring, reproductive decisions are already being made with respect to 'genetic defects' albeit not under orders from the state. This is what critic Troy Duster has termed 'the backdoor to eugenics'. Is corporate pressure so much different, or less insidious, than state pressure? We may be splitting hairs in trying to answer that one."

"Genetics, eugenics, and the medicalization of social behavior: lessons from the past" Endeavor, vol 23(1), 1999