planning

kelley kcwalker at syr.edu
Thu Aug 26 15:28:05 PDT 1999

>1) Permanent hierarchy must be avoided. Ideally the process will be
>mechanical at the top, i.e., the planning process will follow a set of
>pre-defined rules which must be adhered to in order to take the human
>factor (and thus authority) out of the planning process.

yes, and this is where it all breaks down. technocratic administration, the naturalization of the rules which are pre-defined, unquestioned, depoliticized. it is right here where the fantasy erupts to obscure from us the fact that authority asserts itself in the pre=defined rules as much as it asserts itself elsewhere.

i don't know how to get around this either brett but everyone into planning ought to take a great big huge dose of weber if you can't stomach lacan. will getting rid of private property really rid us of the insidiousness of technocratic administration?

all of the below looks suspiciously like the market with inputs, outputs, checks and balances and even appeal to pre=defined rules which is none other than the pre-defined and naturalized rules of the market: everyone operates according to individualized, rational self interest. this was, i'm afraid, max's critique not too long ago.

i'm pushing it here because i want to press people, not because i'm an enemy, but because having had to try to explain this when i talk to students/family/friends, the questions i'm raising have come up in my own mind. so i'm pressing the issue in hopes of collaborating here, not trashing the entire project.

oh and interesting that planning is predictable but now some forms of planning and even the planning of planning are unpredictable. weeeeeooooo.

i have very much enjoyed the very retro parody of the Sonny and Cher Variety hour lately though.

kelley

That is, local