Gore: creationism OK

Tom Lehman uswa12 at Lorainccc.edu
Fri Aug 27 08:48:40 PDT 1999

"The Real Bob" Casey is the former governor of PA whose first name you couldn't remember.

I first encountered The Real Bob about 30 years ago when he was out stumping for Milton Shapp(Shapira) with my great-uncle Les, my grandmothers brother. Les if I recall correctly was running for the state legislature at the time on a platform of legalized everything--enough to make even the most libertine LBOer blush. Uncle Les introduced me to The Real Bob and as I recall I got to hear them both make little speeches. I couldn't help but notice that The Real Bob had on a heavy wool suit and it was a hot day. This led me to think that The Real Bob might have circulatory problems---which over the years became evident---after his much publicized surgeries.

Les in later years got religion and I'm sure he's up there in unknown politicians heaven smiling down on me as I write. The Real Bob went on to become governor of Pennsylvania; too late for poor Les who died impoverished during a Republican administration in Harrisburg. Not that Les hadn't made a lot of money in his lifetime, he just couldn't hold onto it.

A favorite cousin of mines husband, "Chainsaw Bob" in later years became The Real Bob's main man. Chainsaw Bob was always taken a back by my left-labor politics and the fact that I put credence into pronouncements of suspect organizations like the ADA. Even though I am not now nor have I ever been a member of the ADA; except for being bored to death at one or two of their dinners!

The moral of this story is don't take "any" politician seriously.

TL