Gore: creationism OK

Fri Aug 27 10:07:28 PDT 1999

In the US, howver, "US nationality" involves a lot of
>"undesirbales" -such as blacks, asians, eastern europeans, jews etc. which
>would have to be be included under the rubric of a "true American" had
>nationality been used as totalizing ideology. Consequently, religion, and
>more specifically christian identity which is a unique product of american
>brand of protestantism and exludes both non-christian religions (esp. jews)
>as well as roman catholics (hispanics, eastern europeans), not mention
>secular humanists (mostly while folks that also need to be excluded) plays
>the trick of defining "true Amerikans".

Extremely provocative hypothesis, Wojtek. Do note that only we non Christian Asians are left out since everyone else can claim to be part of the great Judeo Christian tradition, such as it is. And I don't think we can make such a clean split between American nationalism and Christianity; they seem interpenetrated Yours, Rakesh