Gore: creationism OK

Nathan Newman nathan.newman at yale.edu
Fri Aug 27 11:54:40 PDT 1999

And the school board will be stopped by the courts, since the Supreme Court has been very clear that any ban on the teaching of evolution is prohibited under the Establishment Clause. It is actually the only case I know of where the abscence of speech is considered prohibited activity, making evolution one of the most privileged speech acts in public schools.

Note in contrast that the "gag rule" on federally-funded abortion providers, censorship of the NEA and NEH, and a range of other prohibitions on the speech of publicly-funded groups is permitted by the court, but evolution has this unique legal protection - much to the irritation of religious conservatives.

--Nathan