Gore: creationism OK

Max B. Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Sat Aug 28 00:00:21 PDT 1999

. . . The point isn't that religion is bad and science is good, but that they make different kinds of claims to truth, one based on revelation and faith (or, for some people, unthinking acceptance of comforting ideology), the other on evidence accepted in the field. Taking away the ability of localities to make dumb decisions based on inept thinking isn't anti-populist or big-state-management or whatever. It *is* against dumbing down our schools, however.

I agree with the distinction between religion and science, and I certainly would not advocate a pluralist presentation of evolution that included creationism.

I disagree that "Taking away the ability of localities to make dumb decisions based on inept thinking" is not anti-populist. It is anti-populist. Whether it's worth doing is another matter.

I have a personal interest in populism, but one part that I haven't reconciled with or figured out to my satisfaction is the direct democracy theme. I've never been a fan of it. I've sat through too many meetings where too much time was wasted.

mbs