Religion and schools: a query

Miles Jackson cqmv at odin.cc.pdx.edu
Sat Aug 28 10:45:43 PDT 1999

On Sat, 28 Aug 1999, Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> Max:
> >In a perverse way they are lending it [the school prayer] a significance
> >it wouldn't otherwise have, by treating it like it is
> >radioactive.
>
> One could say the same thing to the other side, though. Why do
> conservatives want to have students pray at school? Shouldn't those who
> find religion truly meaningful to their ethical life be opposed to the
> state interference with religion, which takes away from their vaunted "free
> will"? Isn't it because religion is merely a political football for
> conservatives that they want to have the state lend it the significance it
> otherwise lacks?
>
> Yoshie

It's very interesting to read the New Testament on this. Can't quote chapter and verse off the top of my head, but Jesus was not especially enthusiastic about public displays of piety. Or, come to think of it, the accumulation of wealth. It continually amazes me how people who call themselves Christians (e.g., Gary Bauer) espouse beliefs and political action that directly contradict the teachings of Christ. You're right, Yoshie--religion is more or less a political football.

Miles cqmv at odin.cc.pdx.edu