software as capital

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Sat Aug 28 12:32:26 PDT 1999

From dhenwood at panix.com Sat Aug 28 09:43:31 1999

Greenspan, Kudlow, & others argue that it's wrong not to

count software expenditures as depreciable investment rather

than an expensed current cost, and that NIPA figures

underestimate investment and growth.

Last I checked, software was 3 year property?

My impression is that if software is a capital expenditure

- and why not, conceptually? - it depreciates very rapidly,

at least by my personal experience. Maybe I upgrade too

much. Any other thoughts?

When you upgrade, you can accelerate depreciation. Typically GAAP says that if it has a useful lifetime of more than a year, you have to classify it as an asset -- if it's no longer useful, your expense is the remaining undepreciated basis. I'm not sure I see the reasoning for saying that "investment" in this way is "good" as opposed to current expenditures: if it's an asset, you *eventually* one way or another expense it. Depreciation is just the "expense" of holding an asset.

/jordan