software as capital

Max B. Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Tue Aug 31 00:00:48 PDT 1999

Suppose a firm invests $100 in something that throws off 8% a year in returns. The following year it has $8. It uses this to invest, offsetting its total net income by expensing the full amount. The following year it earns 8% of $108, or $8.64. (We could factor in depreciation by assuming a lower rate of return.) To zero out this income with new investment, it has to expand its capital stock to $116.64. In other words, to eliminate its tax liability, it has to expand its capital at a rate equal to the rate of return from its investment. Sooner or later this expansion has to slow down, if not stop, and the firm has to swallow some actual taxable net income. Expensing only puts off the day of reckoning. With good rates of return on investment, the day may be closer in view. With bad rates of return, the day is further off, but why invest in such circumstances.

As well, the owners might like to see some cash come out of the firm, though this gets into the attractiveness of stock that does or doesn't pay dividends, on which I'll take a pass. Firms do pay some dividends, so they must be making somebody happy.

Now there may be some tricky financial way of getting around this. There are certainly sophisticated tax avoidance devices. But the basic arithmetic to me looks like expensing only postpones the inevitable.

There is no question business firms favor expensing, though in some cases the tax code could actually be more favorable as is than expensing would be. In other words, taxes can turn negative ROR's to positive ones. This was a particular problem coming out of the '81 tax reform, especially with the investment tax credit, which took the rest of the decade to clean up.

mbs

----- Original Message ----- From: Roger Odisio <rodisio at igc.org> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Monday, August 30, 1999 8:18 PM Subject: Re: software as capital

Jordan,

You disagree with Doug that expensing an asset lowers reported earnings compared with depreciating it . . .