The Heartfield cistern

Carl Remick cremick at rlmnet.com
Tue Aug 31 06:49:15 PDT 1999

> Now, having resisted all those pro-capitalist
> buy British
> campaigns of the past, I'm not about to rally to the cause of British
> business just because it is dressed up as environmentalism.
>
> This point, here, is the one that has not been answered:
>
> >No discernible harm to Americans has occurred.
>
> --
> Jim heartfield

Jim, you missed the punch line, which was the sentence immediately following the one you cited, viz.: "No discernible harm to Americans has occurred. But if Europe and possibly other parts of the world reject or ban such [GM] products, the economic consequences may be measured in the billions of dollars."

In the United States, at least -- where agribusinesses like Monsanto have billions of dollars sunk in GM technology investments -- to be anti-GM *is* to be anti-business. There is no way that environmentalism of this sort in this nation can be construed as "rallying to the cause" of business interests.

Carl