GDP is unscientific and unfair for poorpeople.

Tue Aug 31 08:16:51 PDT 1999

chang wrote:

>You are right. GDP is not a perfect measure of economic performance. GDP has
>nothing to do with poor people. GDP is for the rich to hoodwink poor people's
>eyes.

Most "poor people" couldn't tell you what GDP is or what it means, unless poor people in China are different from the ones in the U.S. In fact, most affluent and education people in the U.S. couldn't tell you what GDP is or whether a growth rate of 2% a year was fast or slow.

Charles: When Clinton said "It's the economy stupid" and then when he claims now, as does the whole bourgeois media that the economy is great, there may not be specific reference to "GDP", but its growth is what is behind the claim that the economy is great. So, in that sense , "growth of GDP" is used to hoodwink poor people and others in the working class. "If the economy is great , and you are poor, then its your individual fault, not the system" is the hoodwink "logic".

I wonder what Ju-chang He means by the bourgeoisie are different from the rich .

Charles Brown