Religion and schools: a query

Stan Duncan duncansb at erols.com
Mon Aug 30 12:52:46 PDT 1999

> On the posts (below) by Cox/Henwood/Sawicky on whether or not religious *used*
> to be taught in public schools, I have two observations based on my being
> raised in Oklahoma (the near-south). One the one hand, though there weren't
> any classes taught on the subject, there was a culture of Christian religion
> which permeated the atmosphere of everything we did. There were morning
> devotions over the intercom, Bible studies before class, Christiamas and
> Easter padgeants, and EVERYBODY went to church somewhere. Christianity was
> thought of an acceptable, relatively common topic for ordinary guys to talk
> about in the lunch room, something which would be scary today.

On the other hand, interestingly enough, in my church--and I went to a fairly pious denomination (the Disciples of Christ). I can't ever remember anybody ever talking about the Genesis creation story as though it was literally true. It was a nice myth which told a nice story about our "theological" origins, but it had nothing to do with science, and was not in competition with it. It is bizarre to see this new breed of religionists going to the mat over something so benign as evolution. My hunch is that it belies something much stranger and much more dangerous underneath all of the rhetoric. Perhaps it is the last frantic, radical gasp of their fear of loss of Christianity's hegemony over culture. When people are afraid of losing their power (or a world view which has power when they personally don't have power) they can do some crazy and dangerous things. I personally don't find anything wrong with a number of religions living in community with each other (I'm a shop-worn veteran of the pew myself), but Christianity has been a bad neighbor for several centuries now and some of its adherents are having a dickens of a time discovering that its days of "glory" are over.

Stan Duncan