seattle

Christine Peterson quintanus at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 1 07:30:27 PST 1999

>Ah, there is nothing like the smell of tear gas accompanied by the
>screams and cries of outrage in the morning. It smells like
>... victory.

Yes - definitely we won. maybe I shouldn't say 'we' because I didn't go out and sacrifice myself like a few others who might be in for some unpleasant jail time. I have a lot of normal friends and acquaintances who ran downtown yesterday morning and are coming in with tear gas reports - but they seem almost giddy about it, and were listing off all the famous people they saw and stuff they did. Someone else driving near the seattle center got his tires blown out by a booby trap strip that someone had thrown down. But winning is an unusual joy. The TV news in the bay area had either nothing or 2 minutes on the riots, but NPR was saying just want I wanted, playing activists delegates saying that the WTO needs to be seriously reorganized or democratized. they aren't going to be able to meet in us or europe again.

>I sure hope so. But to keep it from fraying, a leadership committee
>has to emerge from this scene that at least coordinates the rhetoric
>so that the news media gets it right. Media should never be left to
>think on its own.

Clinton totally spinned it into support for his side. Laura Dandria Tyson of Berkeley Business school gave this super snide statement about how all the protesters are completely clueless and illiterate - a common theme in a lot of WSJ articles. there is a similar article in the NYTimes today by T. Friedman where he took the tone 'oh, aren't they silly'. I am waiting for the media to try to explain the concept of crusties and anarcho punks to the country.