Posner and Gates

James Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Thu Dec 2 09:05:27 PST 1999

On Thu, 02 Dec 1999 08:04:04 -0800 Marta Russell <ap888 at lafn.org> writes:

>James Farmelant wrote:

Yes, Posner's wealth maximization principle at work. The problem with that is it privileges economic efficiency as a value over everything else including especially distributive justice. For the L & E crowd including Posner, Pareto's optimality principle is everything, even though all that principle says that a given allocation of resources from the standpoint of efficiency if no one's welfare can be improved except at the expense of someone else. As Paul Samuelson (hardly a flaming revolutionary) used to point out in his textbook, the translation from Pareto optimality to what is socially optimal requires us to assume that the initial distribution of resources is normatively acceptable. Pareto's optimality principle cannot tell us if that is so or not. Thus the application of the wealth maximization principle to the law by judges like Posner in effect privileges as a matter of principle, the existing distribution of resources and the economic system which is responsible for it. To ignore questions of distributive justice is to enshrine exisiting economic injustice.

Me thinks that perhaps our Justin may have fallen in with a bad crowd. -:)

Jim F.

___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj.