FW: Seattle

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Thu Dec 2 12:24:39 PST 1999

Nice piece that I take as confirmation of an axe I've grinded -- that this movement and populism more generally need not be xenophobic and are not evolving that way.

mbs

(NY Times)

> Rebels in Search of Rules
> By NAOMI KLEIN

TORONTO -- It is all too easy to dismiss the protesters at the World Trade Organization meeting in Seattle as radicals with 60's envy. A seemingly more trenchant criticism is that they are simply behind the curve, fighting against a tide of globalization that has already swamped them. Mike Moore, the director of the W.T.O., describes his opponents as nothing more than protectionists launching an assault on internationalism.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------- - NOTICE FOR JOURNALISTS AND RESEARCHERS: Please ask for written permission from all direct participants before quoting any material posted on FEMECON-L.