"Name the system"

hoov hoov at freenet.tlh.fl.us
Thu Dec 2 15:39:18 PST 1999

> Doug wrote:
> >the stunning sight of AFSCME's Gerald >McEntee urging >us to "name the
> system"...
> Didn't Paul Potter of SDS have that as his refrain in his speech to the
> first major demo against the Vietnam war at the Washington Monument in 1965?
> This memory being
> from Kirkpatrick Sales book on SDS, didn't Potter get to the edge of saying
> "capitalism"? He felt it would sound too "Old Left" He did popularize the
> "corporate liberal" phrase, no?
> Michael Pugliese

re. Potter, his refusal to use word 'capitalism' went beyond it sounding like a word from 1930s, rather, it was outdated because he thought that capitalism no longer decribed US evils...

re. 'corporate liberalism', familiar source is James Weinstein's 1968 _Corporate Ideal in the Liberal State_. To best of my knowledge, term first appeared in 1960 Martin Sklar *Studies on the Left* (of which Weinstein was editor) piece on Woodrow Wilson and so-called Progressive Era (don't recall title). SDSer Carl Oglesby used it in speech at early DC anti-war march (must have been 1965). Michael Hoover