Anarchists or agents provocateurs?

Chuck0 chuck at tao.ca
Fri Dec 3 08:21:43 PST 1999

Max Sawicky wrote:

> What is the anarchist position if they hold a
> meeting and some anarchists-sub-2 present a
> manifestation that disrupts anarchists-sub-1?
> Would they call the cops? Be non-violent?
> I have a practical interest.
>
> Silver Spring Brothers of Durutti

Anarchists don't believe in the cops, so we don't call them. There are exceptions, of course.

Anarchists believe in engaging in dialogue with our fellow comrades. My suggestion will be to ask these folks to respect the civil disobedience folks by doing their destructive work further away from the CD action.

Then again, it is preposterous, as several of the liberal anti-WTO spokespeople demonstrated, to assume that the "protest rules" that they had drafted, which ruled out property destruction, would apply to the entire city of Seattle. If you draft guidelines for protest, they are for people who participate in YOUR protest.

What's really funny is to hear the cops whine about how they had worked with the "leaders" of the anti-WTO actions for months and they feel like the terms of enagement were violated. It looks to me like the civil disobedience folks kept their end of the agreement. It's the cops who decided to spray the CD folks.

I'm just hoping that the cops around the U.S. are realizing that the days when demonstrators kissed thier butts are over with.

Just say NO to Protest Corrals!

-- Chuck0 Washington, DC

Mid-Atlantic Infoshop http://www.infoshop.org/

Leonard Peltier Freedom Month Executive Clemency For Peltier! http://www.freepeltier.org/lpfreedommonth.html

Free Mumia Abu-Jamal Now! http://www.infoshop.org/gulag/mumia_idx.html

"A society is a healthy society only to the degree that it exhibits anarchistic traits."

- Jens Bjørneboe