FW: Seattle

t byfield tbyfield at panix.com
Fri Dec 3 10:32:31 PST 1999

> Date: Fri, 03 Dec 1999 09:49:08 EST
> From: "Carl Remick" <carlremick at hotmail.com>

> So misguided ... and so characteristic. President Billy Bob really hit the
> ground running in Seattle, triangulating for all he was worth. If he gets
> away with his Mr. Empathy act this time, all the fuss in Seattle will have
> been for nothing.

with all due respect, this kind of remark seems to suggest a faith in presidency so imperial as to have established domin- ion over consciousness itself. he's not that powerful--even his disingenuous bullshit isn't that powerful, sorry to say.

the country's roughly due to swing back toward the left, and what with the gawd-fersaken 20th C on its last legs, we can look forward, i think, to an end to all this finger-drumming counting-down (of space, of resources, of time, of money) and counting-up (of 'technology,' of the stock market). and look forward as well to some *serious* mayhem for the fat cats, as in stuff that'll make them long for the idyllic sixties.

in all the insufferable sanctimony and dismissive-reductive 'historicism' of the last two decades, it seems that one thing an awful lot of people forgot is that Protest Can Be Fun. seems like seattle might go a long way toward reminding them of that.

cheers, t