Hanson Baldwin? Ronald Radosh?

Uday Mohan udaym at igc.org
Fri Dec 3 20:38:29 PST 1999

Hanson Baldwin was the military editor of the NYT from circa the '40s through the '60s (don't know precise dates). Was he a right winger? The answer depends on what period you're looking at. I've read some of his work in the 40s but I can't determine his political orientation with certainty. He does seem to emerge as a rightwinger as the Cold War progresses, but I don't know enough about his later work to pinpoint the transitions. His NYT obit (11/14/91) includes the following:

"He contended that the United States was engaged in a 'struggle for the world' with an aggressively expansionist Communism, and he was an outspoken advocate of nuclear superiority over the Soviet Union.

At various times, he also advocated the intensification of the Vietnam War to achieve a military victory, and friendship with Spain under Franco and with white-dominated Governments in South Africa and in Rhodesia ... because of what he regarded as their strategic positions."

Uday Mohan