Wahid warns of repressive measures in Aceh

Ulhas Joglekar ulhasj at bom4.vsnl.net.in
Sat Dec 4 01:05:24 PST 1999

4 December 1999 Wahid warns of repressive measures in Aceh BEIJING: Indonesian President Abdurrahman Wahid warned Friday that "repressive measures" would be taken if Indonesia's territorial integrity was challenged by separatists in restive Aceh province during the December 4 anniversary of the Free Aceh Movement. "It is the right of the president and thW10.TIMf the president to do whatever is necessary to defend... the territorial integrity of the nation," Wahid told journalists on the last day of an official three-day visit to Beijing. "We will use repressive forces if we are challenged, if there is no challenge and its just an expression of their wishes, then its okay, why not. But if they challenge us we will use repression." The Free Aceh Movement has set the government a deadline of December 4 -- the date that they declared independence in 1976 -- to decide whether to hold a referendum on the independence of Aceh. Wahid issued a written order to the army upon leaving Indonesia for China on Wednesday, as an "explanation" to the armed forces and police in case "we are challenged." He denied the order was issued because of the anniversary of the Free Aceh Movement. Wahid on Sunday secured the support of ASEAN and the leaders of China, Japan and South Korea at an ASEAN summit in Manila, for Indonesia's fight to secure its unity in the face of several separatist uprisings. Friday, he further thanked Chinese President Jiang Zemin for supporting his government's determination to maintain Indonesia's territorial integrity. Wahid came to power in October as the international peacekeeping force in East Timor sought to maintain order in the region after violence by Indonesian army-backed militias broke out following an overwhelming vote for independence from Indonesia. Wahid has ruled out independence as an option for Aceh, saying any referendum would decide whether to grant the province greater autonomy or special province status, a better share of resources and whether to implement Islamic Shariah law. He further reiterated his willingness to meet witht the leaders of the Free Aceh Movement, but said any eventual meeting would depend on the circumstances surrounding the meeting. Aceh, rich in oil and natural gas, has been rocked by violence between soldiers and supporters and members of the Free Aceh Movement which has been fighting for a Muslim state since the 1970s.

|For reprint rights: Times Syndication Service
|Disclaimer|

For comments and feedback send Email Bennett, Coleman & Co. Ltd. 1999.