Seattle & Henwood

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sun Dec 5 12:05:49 PST 1999

I just happened to be reading "The Nation Indicators" by Doug in the Dec. 6, 1999 issue of _The Nation_ today. The article & graphs show that, in very recent years, unemployment has gone down and average weekly earnings have gone up while the gap between rich and poor has further widened in the USA. Isn't this mix the most likely recipe for an upsurge in left-wing activism?

On PEN-L, we've had an argument as to what "development" means, whether things have on the whole become better or worse for the masses of people, etc. Doesn't Seattle vindicate the perspective on economy that zeroes in on contradiction (e.g. rising GDP, decreasing unemployment, slow increases in wages, widening gap between rich and poor, etc.) while being on the lookout for an _uptick_ (as opposed to emphasizing only the indicators that show things are getting worse)?

Yoshie