Fwd: Torture of WTO Protesters in Seattle Jails; Faith Healing Circle 12/5;... (fwd)

Christine Peterson quintanus at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 5 13:05:46 PST 1999

the Seattle Weekly, http://www.seattleweekly.com is really good this and last week. They are much better than they were a couple years ago. It takes at least 30 minutes to read, as opposed to about 5 minutes for the SF Guardian. Below is something about police treatment in jails. Do any of you know more about this? Two of the people I knew are out today, and I don't know about others. I hadn't heard from the math genius guy from Princeton who's in my lab, but he's been sitting out there for several days, waiting for his sister who was inside. To me, it seems so incomprehensible that they would choose to do this stuff that they were probably able to do to arrestees and demonstrators in the 50s 60s civil rights demos and late 60s Vietnam. So many people arrested were middle class white women like me in their early/middle 20s. You can't do that stuff to middle class white people, with video cameras. All the public needs is one really documented case to appear in the media in order to cement opinion anyway. I mean, I don't like how some sources keep referring to the younger participants as 'the college kids', because college kids on average are much more conservative, and contrary to some people's worldview, most people don't go to a 4 yr college. The UoW can be totally apathetic - indeed, when I submitted articles for their paper, the editor had a personal apathy agenda and would secretly toss certain people's submissions, and write many editorial opinions making fun of anyone who participated in any sort of activst group for having no life. But the membership and leadership of so many activist groups definitely are more middle class than average because it's kind of a privileged activity in one way of looking at it. Despite what out of towners would have gathered, Seattle is actually about 9% black and 11% asian - there were thousands of union working class people, but the non-union people probably were at work.