Telos/Independent Institute/Critical Review/Society/Transaction and some Red Diapers. (What's giving me that Diaper Rash?)

Michael Pugliese debsian at pacbell.net
Sun Dec 5 14:50:18 PST 1999

(I'll probably get one of Doug's cease your over-limit posting or you'll be hauled before a revolutionary tribunal notices but, the caffeine is forcing that mouse to go click...)

I should write a post some day on the journey of Piccone & Co. from Frankfurters and Husserlian phenomemenology through Habermas, Castoriadis, "Artificial Negativity", the Euromissiles debate, polemics against pomo and deconstruction, the "Soviet Question" and the left, to paleo-conservatism, French New Rightism ala Alain deBenoist, "populism" and "communitarianism" and other controversies and positions over the years.

The Independent Institute has a few other surprising names on their editorial board, like Lloyd Gardner, one of William Appleman Williams students. Same for the contributors to "Critical Review" the libertarian journal that has blurbs from folks like Bertell Ollman, inventor of the game, "Class Struggle," and has had pieces by people like Charles Taylor on the left as well as people more likely to be at the Cato Institute.

He gave up the position some years ago, but, Michael Kimmel, was for years the book review editor at I.L. Horowitz'es Society/Transaction. He taught a class at U.C. Santa Cruz on Revolutions when he was a visiting lecturer there early 80's. Red diapers, has Prof. Kimmel, one of my favorite teachers when I was a "Banana slug" at UCSC. Relatives of his were in the CPUSA and SWP. I think one of his close relatives is still the head of the CPUSA in New Jersey.Great family gatherings I'm sure. Michael got a bit too much into the mythopoetic Blythian "Men's Movement" and the porn debates in the 80's for my taste, but he has an estimable book on Revolutions reviewing the standards in the field like Tilly, Scocpol(sic.), Wallerstein, Marx, Barrington Moore, etc.

Michael Pugliese