anarchism

Chuck0 chuck at tao.ca
Mon Dec 6 10:05:28 PST 1999

Charles Brown wrote:

> Charles: I say congratulations to the anarchists for the contributions they made to the success of the people's anti-transnational monopoly demonstration in Seattle. It does seem that a lot of non-anarchists were part of the success too.

Without a doubt. The success of Seattle can be attributed to a wide range of people across the political spectrum.

> Marxists also congratulated the rebellers in Detroit in 1967, Watts in 1965 , Los Angeles in 199? ., where people who were even more anarchistic than anarchists, in the sense that they were completely unorganized, just did it.

Which might provide some helpful hints to anybody who still believes in vanguardism.

> Marx and Lenin congratulated the fighters of the Paris Commune in 1870., too, where there were many anarchists.
>
> Spontaneous struggle has long been recognized by Marxists as a normal and necessary dimension of mass struggle. It is an expected stage in the development of a movement.

Except when certain authoritarian Marxists (Stalin/Lenin) decided that spontaneous struggle was getting in the way of their plans.

> However, notice , though cheered by Seattle, we are still a long way from bringing down the transnational bourgeoisie. And all the other explosions I mention above, inspiring as they were, did not result in actually bringing down the system, let alone building a new one to replace it. It is not jealously to soberly point this out, but concern that we build on this spontaneity the fuller consciousness and organization necessary to carry things through to an effective revolution.

The revolution didn't start last week, but it was a big morale boost for everybody fighting against capitalism.

> By the way, Communists were some of the biggest defenders of Sacco and Vanzetti.

Yup.

-- Chuck0

Mid-Atlantic Infoshop http://www.infoshop.org/

Leonard Peltier Freedom Month Executive Clemency For Peltier! http://www.freepeltier.org/lpfreedommonth.html

Free Mumia Abu-Jamal Now! http://www.infoshop.org/gulag/mumia_idx.html

"A society is a healthy society only to the degree that it exhibits anarchistic traits."

- Jens Bjørneboe