Male-Female College Student Ratios

Katha Pollitt kpollitt at thenation.com
Mon Dec 6 09:19:14 PST 1999

I'm writing my column about ongoing flap over fact that a higher proportion of college students are female than male. Can't recall colleges being upset during the long decades when far fewer females than males went to college! But now some colleges are quietly practicing affirmative action for men--letting in men with weaker academic records in order to have a better social mix, more donors in future, help their sprots programs whatever. Where are the opponents of affirmative action on this, I wonder? I mean, if it's important for college life, student happiness, or society to have men in college in some kind of vague relation to their proportion in the population, why not people of color?

anyway, any facts, pointers, sources would be much appreciated. For instance,what's the story at your school? Do you know anything about male preference in acceptances?I'm writing today and tomorrow.

thanks in advance, Katha