Grumpy lefties and VENONA

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Tue Dec 7 12:23:16 PST 1999

A knowledgeable fellow told me once that as late as 1964, the Soviets only had four deliverable atomic bombs. The temptation to make a first strike must have been intense.

mbs

While I believe Soviet scientists would have developed atomic bombs on their own anyhow, why should trying to help them to expedite the process be considered "indefensible" by _leftists_?

I just showed _The Atomic Cafe_ to my students. You can see, in this documentary, American politicians arguing for the first strike. Without the speedy Soviet development of atomic bombs, the USA might have dropped them on more places than just Hiroshima and Nagasaki. . . .