WTO, labor standards, and developing countries

Tom Lehman uswa12 at Lorainccc.edu
Tue Dec 7 12:16:48 PST 1999

Doug, you would probably be very surprised to know what goes on as far as contacts between the Steelworkers and other international unions around the globe.

It's not in my place to discuss these type of contacts or what they mean. Don't kid yourself, international relations among labor unions is a dangerous game. A good friend of mine and our finest expert on international relations and a very healthy gentleman came down with a mysterious illness after an international labor meeting in the Middle East a couple of years ago; even at my lowly level I got questions like,"was he poisoned?"

Or maybe you recall when the four AFL-CIO conventioneers got machine gunned in Latin America some years ago. Obviously, someone took the four of them for someone serious. If I remember correctly our government wasn't sure whether it was the army or the police of the country they were visiting that did the shooting.

Also, here's something to think about did you know that posting foreign news releases is probably illegal under American law; and this has nothing to do with intellectual property rights.

I know you cosmopolitans, know all about the world and have spent your summers hiking in Tibet etc.etc.etc.

Tom