WTO, labor standards, and developing countries

Tom Lehman TLehman at lor.net
Tue Dec 7 16:15:00 PST 1999

Seth, The Steelworkers have always been for the concept of fair trade, which is a level playing field for all parties concerned; as I outlined in my earlier e-mail to you. Very similar to the position of the 113 Congressional Democrats letter to President Clinton of 11/17/99. Only we have some serious criticism of the intent of Wall Street, Bay Street and multinational corporations in regard to working people around the world.

http://www.fairtradewatch.org/fairtradedef.html

I don't know if you have a copy of the Congressional Democrat's letter and if you don't, I would be happy to send it to you.

Here in Ohio, In my humble opinion, I think we are doing all we can do. We have the best leadership at all levels and the most motivated rank&file in the country.

Katha, I'd suggest to you, that you talk to Vic Navasky about moving the Nation's headquarters to the mid-west bible belt; I'll bet Paul Newman might even go for it. After all he is originally from Cleveland isn't he?

You could look at it as a compromise between you and the great Cockburn. The Nation would save money and circulation would probably quadruple in no time.

Tom Lehman