WTO, labor standards, and developing countries

Tom Lehman TLehman at lor.net
Tue Dec 7 16:47:01 PST 1999

Doug, at the time and from a pretty authoritative source, the word that I got was that those fellows were conventioneers on a junket. Btw, a conventioneer is a guy who lives to go to conventions and raise a little hell, get away from the wife and the kids, and maybe get lucky.

As far as the "so-called" CIA connection & the AFL-CIO; my take on that was in reality it was more of a place to park your not too bright brother-in-law or other relative who needed a job. No questions asked. I shared the story with you about the union worthy who claims he can stand out in front of any big city hotel for 10 minutes and be approached by at least one ex-CIA agent trying to bum a smoke from him. :o)

Tom